Friday 21 June 2013

Soltice and the Southern Hemisphere!

This June 21st, I'm off to the Southern Hemisphere -- much like the trajectory of the Solar Equator, moving settling South at the height of its Summer Solstice. Ok, its a bit of a stretch, but there is something neat about inverting hemispheres on the Solstice. Its also a goodbye to my 2+ years working and living in the United States. Farewell Hawaii, DC (and Canada). I'll be starting PhD studies at Murdoch University and the Cetacean Research Unit. Its a bit of risk leaving NOAA for a student position, but it is something I've always wanted to do. Coming on the heals of this blog post about the blight of ecology PhDs in an era of science divestment, I'm looking at it as a 'life accomplishment' rather than a serious career move. Plus, the chance to explore a whole new continent and bizarro ecosystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment